Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
11 posts Page 1 of 2
Is there a way that I can have any administrator with the ability to edit other administrators and also to upgrade regular users to an administrator? I don't see how I can designate others to be super administrators but I want to have others in my organization with the ability to edit anyone.
wysocki wrote: Is there a way that I can have any administrator with the ability to edit other administrators and also to upgrade regular users to an administrator?

Just click on users in the backend navigation.
I don't think so. If I'm logged in as an administrator I can only edit myself or the non-administrators.

[quote="wysocki"]I don't think so. If I'm logged in as an administrator I can only edit myself or the non-administrators.

Only superadministrators are allowed to edit administrators.
https://simonwpt.github.io/CouchDocs/co ... ss-control
Quite aware of how it works. I'm asking for a way that I can OVERRIDE that!
If I'm logged in as an administrator I can only edit myself or the non-administrators.

I'm asking for a way that I can OVERRIDE that!

Cannot be overridden, I'm afraid :)

Only the super-admin has the privileges to edit other admin accounts or to promote normal users to admin positions.
And, out of the box, there is only one super-admin in Couch. So, if you wish to grant such powers to any other person, you'll have to surrender over the super-admin account to that person.

As an "unofficial hack" - you can edit a user account directly from the database to make it a super-admin thus giving you multiple super-admins :)

Hope this helps.
Perfect, Kamran! The "unofficial hack" is the kind of thing I was looking for (knew it had to exist). Actually, I was searching for how to just edit the user list restrictions based upon k_user_access_level but this will do fine.
So very sorry to reopen the post, but I just was informed that it didn't work as I hoped!
It DOES allow someone to be upgraded to super administrator and edit administrators. BUT... I upgraded a few key people in the organization to super administrators, and the hack still doesn't allow super administrators to edit other super administrators!!! I edited the "access level" and even the "system" field, but no luck. Isn't it possible to edit the template for the user display to tweak the criteria of access level for that column there?
Terry, what you ask is not regulated only by access_level column. One way is to find a PHP-savvy person in your organization and ask to look at the codebase. I am positive it won't be long before the required changes in couch/user.php allow to save any user and tweaking of the system theme makes the 'Edit' button visible in User's list-view.

wysocki wrote: So very sorry to reopen the post, but I just was informed that it didn't work as I hoped!
It DOES allow someone to be upgraded to super administrator and edit administrators. BUT... I upgraded a few key people in the organization to super administrators, and the hack still doesn't allow super administrators to edit other super administrators!!! I edited the "access level" and even the "system" field, but no luck. Isn't it possible to edit the template for the user display to tweak the criteria of access level for that column there?
Thanks, Trendo. But I think that things are different here because I have used the Extended Users method. There is no /couch/user.php or anything like it. I'm fairly proficient with PHP but unfortunately not much so with Couch. I expected to see some code referring to K_ACCESS_LEVEL or similar, but I can't even find where the listing comes from. There's a file /snippets/userlist.html that has a user table defined, but it's doesn't match the user list I see as admin. Plus there's no server side code wrapping it. If you or anyone is willing to take a closer look, I'd be happy to pm some temporary ftp access to the site. But I'm totally stumped as to where this page is generated.
ImageCapture081.png
ImageCapture081.png (112.47 KiB) Viewed 906 times
11 posts Page 1 of 2