Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
16 posts Page 1 of 2
Hello,

Thought I would try out Couch with PHP 8 on my Mac as I've just done a clean install of Big Sur.
Upon trying to 'reinstall' the site I have encountered following issues - only created the admin folder, not copied over templates or themes yet.

Code: Select all
Warning: Undefined variable $validate_bound in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5416

Warning: Undefined variable $masterpage in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5419

Warning: Undefined variable $sub_html in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5507

Warning: Undefined variable $html in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 1111

Warning: Undefined variable $html in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 1111

Warning: Undefined variable $code in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 3249

Warning: Undefined array key "name" in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/functions.php on line 160

Warning: Undefined variable $style in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5716

Warning: Undefined variable $width in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5716

Warning: Undefined variable $height in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5716

Warning: Undefined variable $label in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5773

Warning: Undefined variable $desc in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5774

Warning: Undefined variable $separator in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5781

Warning: Undefined variable $val_separator in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5782

Warning: Undefined variable $opt_values in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5783

Warning: Undefined variable $opt_selected in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5784

Warning: Undefined variable $html_before in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5785

Warning: Undefined variable $html_after in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5786

Warning: Undefined variable $allowed_html_tags in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5788

Warning: Undefined variable $strip_tags in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5789

Warning: Undefined variable $not_active in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5790

Warning: Undefined variable $simple_mode in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5810

Warning: Undefined variable $code in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 3249

Warning: Undefined array key "name" in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/functions.php on line 160

Warning: Undefined variable $style in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5716

Warning: Undefined variable $width in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5716

Warning: Undefined variable $height in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5716

Warning: Undefined variable $label in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5773

Warning: Undefined variable $desc in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5774

Warning: Undefined variable $validator_msg in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5780

Warning: Undefined variable $separator in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5781

Warning: Undefined variable $val_separator in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5782

Warning: Undefined variable $opt_values in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5783

Warning: Undefined variable $opt_selected in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5784

Warning: Undefined variable $html_before in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5785

Warning: Undefined variable $html_after in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5786

Warning: Undefined variable $allowed_html_tags in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5788

Warning: Undefined variable $strip_tags in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5789

Warning: Undefined variable $not_active in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5790

Warning: Undefined variable $simple_mode in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5810

Warning: Undefined variable $validator_msg in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5780

Warning: Undefined variable $nonce in /Users/Ian/Sites/nairn_county/couch/tags.php on line 5631

NOTE: Change the admin text in the paste but wasted effort once I took the screenshot. :roll:
Quite a few more errors once logged in - see attachment.

Tried searching the forum for anything relating to this and no joy. Not sure if I'm just being simple. First time I've used home-brew for installing Mac features so maybe missed something there - PHP info page does work.

Using the latest version from GitHub. Not a big problem as got a working copy on Windows, just looking to see if it would play ball.

UPDATE: Installed 7.4 as well and setup the switching. Displays fine with no errors on 7.4.13 so don't think I've done anything wrong.

Ian

Attachments

Hi Ian,

To be honest, I haven't tested Couch yet on PHP 8; some incompatibilities are to be expected that would need ironing out.

From your screenshot, though, it appears all the messages are just 'warnings' - these can be safely ignored.
Please try configuring your PHP runtime to suppress all warnings and see how things go.
Do keep me posted.

Thanks.
Couch does not play well with PHP 8 - log fills up with errors and warnings, and PHP GD 8 fails to recognize the file type after upload of images. I had to downgrade to PHP 7.2 and everything works like a dream.

Also, if anyone can help me out, how do I change the page name in admin interface from page.php to "Homepage" etc..
I tried <cms:template title=" ... but that didn't work.

Tx
/magnus
kmhelander wrote: I tried <cms:template title=" ... but that didn't work.

You have to be logged in as superadmin.
@kmhelander,
Couch does not play well with PHP 8 - log fills up with errors and warnings, and PHP GD 8 fails to recognize the file type after upload of images

What OP reported were all warnings (and not errors).
On a production server, it is expected that the error displays are always disabled so warnings should not be a concern
Code: Select all
On a production server, error displays should always be disabled - 
In a php.ini file, you can add a line like “display_errors = off” (without the quotes).
In an .htaccess file, you can add a line that says “php_flag display_errors off” (without the quotes).

If, however, you do happen to see any 'error', please report it here.

The second part of your message -
PHP GD 8 fails to recognize the file type after upload of images
- is indeed correct.

I have pushed a fix for it and that should rectify the issue -
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13086&p=37425#p37425

Perhaps you could test and let me know.
HI,

Has this issue been resolved? I updated my server to PHP8.1 to follow WP instructions, but my Couch websites went blank.

Should I update to the latest version, hopefully compatible with PHP8.1, or shouldn't I?

Cheers,
Paolo
Paolo, are you sure you first upgraded to the current version of Couch available from GitHub?
Also, please take a look at your webserver's error log and let me know (PM me) what it reports.
Hi KK,

No, I didn't, hence my question.

I was wondering if the new couch version was compatible with PHP8.1.

I have my answer.

Thank you.
I'm running Couch version 2.0beta under PHP 7.4. My ISP requires that I upgrade to PHP 8.1 but the upgrade failed because of syntax problems in /couch/header.php.

There are 3 places in header.php that have invalid syntax. in lines 202, 226, and 231 there are deprecated curly braces instead of square brackets on the $path{strlen($path)-1}=='/' statements.

Also the file has problems with the use of mysql instead of mysqli and therefore the mysql_error() and mysql_fetch_row() functions are deprecated as well. Looks like I have a lot of work upgrading Couch to current version considering I've made quite a few customizations over the years!

Is there a recent guide to doing the upgrade? Does the database need updating as well?
BUT... I notice in the latest version I just downloaded, there's several mysql_ functions that are deprecated as well! How can this still work? Will it be upgraded in an upcoming release? What to do!?!?!?!
@wysocki
As mentioned before, please upgrade to the latest version available at GitHub as that is perfectly compatible with PHP8 (in the case that deprecation warnings get displayed on the frontend, please use the solution from viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13373#p38702).

Looks like I have a lot of work upgrading Couch to current version considering I've made quite a few customizations over the years!
Well, upgrading to the current version of Couch will, of course, limit its effect to the core code that ships with Couch; any other custom PHP code that you may have used will need to fixed separately (assuming it happens to be incompatible with PHP8).

Is there a recent guide to doing the upgrade? Does the database need updating as well?
There is a file named UPGRADE.md that comes with the source code (https://github.com/CouchCMS/CouchCMS/bl ... UPGRADE.md); it mentions an older version but the steps apply to all versions. Essentially you just need to overwrite the Couch installation with the new version (Do make sure to take a database backup first before doing this, though!!)

BUT... I notice in the latest version I just downloaded, there's several mysql_ functions that are deprecated as well! How can this still work? Will it be upgraded in an upcoming release? What to do!?!?!?!
Please don't worry about that - just upgrade and it will work.
16 posts Page 1 of 2