Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi there,

I'm looking for a simple solution to let my clients edit their website content on the static pages I wrote for them. CouchCMS is pretty much the only simple and self hosted solution I found and it looks really good. Thanks for making this. I'm looking into purchasing it, and could imagine to use it for a few more projects.

However I have questions before using it in a productive environment.

- Updates (and security):
That is the most important point for me. How frequently is CouchCMS updated? I'm can't really find any up to date information to the current version or patch? The latest date in the file "CHANGELOG.md" says 2.0 from 2016 with no infos? I really want to make sure it's updated when needed to prevent security issues and so on.

- Removal of the comment in the source code:
I know when buying the license it removes the actual link. On the forums I had a look at some websites that people made supported by CouchCMS and it the source code you see the following on the bottom:
<!-- Page generated by CouchCMS - Simple Open-Source Content Management -->

Is it allowed (and possible) to remove that? Of course I mean after purchasing the product. This comment is something we really don't want to have in the source code of a commercial website that's visible to the public.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Trommel
Hi :)

Thank you for your interest in Couch.
I'll try to answer your queries -

1. Updates (and security):
The software that one downloads from our site is actually hosted at GitHub.
If you take look at the commit log (https://github.com/CouchCMS/CouchCMS/commits/master), you'll find that it is quite actively maintained. Any bug report we get, usually gets a fix committed almost on the same day.
So you can rest assured on that front.

2. Removal of the comment in the source code:
There is a single setting in the main config file that a commercial license holder is entitled to set (K_PAID_LICENSE).
With that in place, Couch automatically removes the comment you mentioned from the outputted HTML.
Apart from this, a license holder is free to remove all mentions of CouchCMS from the admin-panel (i.e. white label it).

Hope this answers your queries.
Hi KK,

thanks for your quick and very helpful answer.

KK wrote: 1. Updates (and security):
The software that one downloads from our site is actually hosted at GitHub.
If you take look at the commit log (https://github.com/CouchCMS/CouchCMS/commits/master), you'll find that it is quite actively maintained. Any bug report we get, usually gets a fix committed almost on the same day.
So you can rest assured on that front.

Reading my post again I hope I didn't sound too harsh or anything (english isn't first language) by mentioning that, now that it turns out it's all on GitHub. I was just wondering because I didn't see anything in that changelog and neither under the forum category "product updates" ... and regular updates are obviously really important in commercial sites. Thanks for the clarification, and maybe that can be taken as a little suggestion for other people who look on the website or forum first :)

KK wrote: 2. Removal of the comment in the source code:
There is a single setting in the main config file that a commercial license holder is entitled to set (K_PAID_LICENSE).
With that in place, Couch automatically removes the comment you mentioned from the outputted HTML.
Apart from this, a license holder is free to remove all mentions of CouchCMS from the admin-panel (i.e. white label it).

Ah ok great, so I've probably seen only websites that either didn't purchase or didn't remove it then.
I thought the comment in the HTML code was mandatory.

If I'm allowed to mention one more thing... I'm normally quite used to forums but I don't really get how to sort posts here... At least for me no matter what I try to sort as it's pretty mixed up. I found my own post only through my user page. I'm doing something wrong probably :D

Thanks.

Best regards,
Trommel
3 posts Page 1 of 1