Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
21 posts Page 1 of 3
Am I best removing couchcms and installing it again as think I have totally messed up how nested pages with clonable pages should be done

I think I will to be honest as got a headache with it all
Is it only the doubled "about-us/about-us/" issue? Or have you identified more?
KK wrote: Is it only the doubled "about-us/about-us/" issue? Or have you identified more?

I found it was still doing it for others such as about-us/it-support, the menu links were right when I clicked on them but it was just when I visited the site from the admin side that it was going to about-us/about-us and about-us/it-support and so on

I thought it would be best to remove the cms db table and do a clean install and start again

I am thinking if I make the home page just a normal template that I can add/edit content to as normal then make a page-template.php file as the nested and clonable template and instead of having the includes/header and includes/footer.php and out the coding from them two files onto the page-template.php file, I can then use a cms tag for the <title> tag as nothing seemed to have worked when trying to put a cms tag into the <title> tag in the header

Would the above way work?
The issue you are experiencing is that related to prettyURLs - nothing is wrong with the way your site is structured and so even if you redo everything you'll land at the exact same spot once prettyURLs are turned on.

As I mentioned in one of your other thread, the problem is relative links being used in your templates.
If you are having difficulty sorting things out, PM me the FTP + Couch creds and I'll take a look at the issue (please make sure to also describe where and how exactly I can get to see the problem first-hand).
KK wrote: The issue you are experiencing is that related to prettyURLs - nothing is wrong with the way your site is structured and so even if you redo everything you'll land at the exact same spot once prettyURLs are turned on.

As I mentioned in one of your other thread, the problem is relative links being used in your templates.
If you are having difficulty sorting things out, PM me the FTP + Couch creds and I'll take a look at the issue (please make sure to also describe where and how exactly I can get to see the problem first-hand).

I have just installed a clean couchcms on the site, I'll get it to where it was before and send you the FTP info if ok to have a look
Hi KK

I have got it to where it was before but not done all the pages as only done the home page and about us page but it's doing the same issue as before and with the structure being about-us/about-us and not having a page title and also the home page is not working, it says page not found

I'll PM you the login info and FTP info if ok
Just sent a PM, it's in my outbox at the mo, not sure how long it stays there for as thought it would go straight to my sent messages folder
OK, thanks.

I gave it a look and found the following -
your nested-pages template is named 'about-us.php'.
So, with prettyURLs on, it would be accessible as 'yoursite.com/about-us/' (which is happening). Any cloned page you create from this template will now have its name appended to the said URL.

As it happens, you created a cloned page also named 'about-us' from this template. The name of this page gets added to the URL above and it shows up as 'yoursite.com/about-us/about-us/' - this is actually *correct*. The double 'about-us' that is bothering you actually consists of the template name (about-us) followed by the page name (also about-us).

So your "problem" is that you have are using a template named 'about-us' for creating the nested pages - like all templates, its name *will* show up in the URL along with the pages.

If you don't want to have the template name in URL, please use a template named 'index.php' as that is the only name that is omitted from the URL.
KK wrote: OK, thanks.

I gave it a look and found the following -
your nested-pages template is named 'about-us.php'.
So, with prettyURLs on, it would be accessible as 'yoursite.com/about-us/' (which is happening). Any cloned page you create from this template will now have its name appended to the said URL.

As it happens, you created a cloned page also named 'about-us' from this template. The name of this page gets added to the URL above and it shows up as 'yoursite.com/about-us/about-us/' - this is actually *correct*. The double 'about-us' that is bothering you actually consists of the template name (about-us) followed by the page name (also about-us).

So your "problem" is that you have are using a template named 'about-us' for creating the nested pages - like all templates, its name *will* show up in the URL along with the pages.

If you don't want to have the template name in URL, please use a template named 'index.php' as that is the only name that is omitted from the URL.

Oh right ok, if I use a template named index.php, it has a different design/layout to the about-us.php page so need to use the about-us.php page really, is there not a way to use index.php but use the design/layout used for the about-us.php?
Sorry am getting fed up with couchcms again, it's messed up the home page design/layout now, the why choose us is now missing it's background image and the our services section has lost it's layout, it should have the images in a line horizontally and not vertically, all I did was add the absolute links in on the images, please help me

Really getting fed up with it now, can you please help KK as got no idea what is going on now
21 posts Page 1 of 3