Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi KK,
I will be building a website for a school soon. A feature the school wants is This:
1. Students will register in order to get access to a dashboard that contains educations materials.
2. Once logged each student can be able to access subjects and topics which will be grouped according to classes.
3. Each subjects will have some Infos on the subject, topics on the subjects in PDFs, videos and past questions.
4. In each students unique dashboard there will be counters for the number of subjects and classes completed unique to each student.
5. Student can update their profile anytime.

I want to know if I can use Couch to do all of these. Any leads will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Gave a reply to this in another thread (here).

I want to know if I can use Couch to do all of these.

Couch? Yes. Mind that registered students will be served non-cached pages hence a big load on school's server (the thing can be slow). Queries must be thought through and all db operations optimized (there are some threads in forum about that I chipped in), et cetera. Which brings me to the point - can you use Couch to do all of these? Based off your forum posts - No. Hire someone.
Hello trendoman,
I realised with the "notejam" advanced tutorials: the features is actually one that allows uers to signup, login, create, edit and delete notes unique to their account.

In my case what I want to do is this:
1. I will be the one to create subjects and their information(editable regions) at the back-end using the current couch admin panel and group the subjects into classes(folders).

2. What I want my users to be able to do is to signup/register and login.
ASANKA UIArtboard 1 copy 4.jpg
ASANKA UIArtboard 1 copy 4.jpg (124.23 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
ASANKA UIArtboard 1 copy 5.jpg
ASANKA UIArtboard 1 copy 5.jpg (119.77 KiB) Viewed 1941 times

3. Once logged in they will be sent to this dashboard
ASANKA UIArtboard 1 copy 6.jpg
ASANKA UIArtboard 1 copy 6.jpg (165.36 KiB) Viewed 1941 times

4. When they click on any of the classes to the far left it will open up to the CLASS(folder view) page: Under each class there will be SUBJETCS (Science, Maths, English and others).

5. When the user clicks on a Subject it will open up to TOPICS under that SUBJECT.

6. Clicking on a TOPIC will open up to the content of the topic(Page view).

7. As an added features: each student(registered and signed in) will be able to see the number of topics read and the number of subjects completed).

NB: Each registered student will only be able to read subjects and is not supposed to create, edit or delete anything. All the creation, editing and deletion will be done by me using the couch admin panel. Hope you get me. Thank you in adnvance
adimpressions wrote: Hope you get me. Thank you in adnvance

Yeah, I get you. What do you want from me apart from the reference links to docs?
OK. I want to know a few things:
1. Can I create a normal clonable template as the topics/subjects and use dynamic folders to categorize or put the subjects under different classes? The document structure will be like this:
Code: Select all
Topic(Clonable template) --> Unit 1(Dynamic folder) --> Section (Dynamic folder) --> Subject (Dynamic folder) --> Class/Grade (Dynamic folder)

2. How do make registered students only access the dashboard so they can click on what resource they want and "READ" only. I dont want them to edit/modify/delete.

3. I used the extended users tutorials to create users but each time I log in a user(student) it rather goes to the couch admin dashboard instead of the dashboard I want to create for the students. NB: Each student will have their own dashboard which will be the same for all the registered students. The only features that will be unique to each student will be the number of topics/subjects/classes completed by each student which will be displayed in their dashboard when they log in. I hope you get me.

4. How do I redirect students to their dashboard when they log in?
adimpressions wrote: OK. I want to know a few things:
1. Can I create a normal clonable template as the topics/subjects and use dynamic folders to categorize or put the subjects under different classes?

The answer to the question 'Can I' is Yes, you can. The answer to the possibly implicated question 'Should I' can be Yes and No (very likely) - 100% dependent on the queries you must perform. Take topics from your suggested structure - if different classes/grades are on the same topic - there will be a duplication of topics, which is always a bad design. There will be a list of subjects for each topic and it will be close to impossible to query a distinct list of subjects or list students of a certain class for administrative purposes.

adimpressions wrote: 2. How do make registered students only access the dashboard so they can click on what resource they want and "READ" only. I dont want them to edit/modify/delete.

It depends on your custom routes. Each action (edit/delete/create) is a different route, so there is no problem to check for permissions set (as an editable field) for an extended user.

adimpressions wrote: 3. & 4.

I suggest to use tag cms:redirect or a parameter redirect to tag cms:process_login.
So I am doing everything in steps. So far I have been able to redirect new students to the login page where they can create an account and login. If I run into any problem I will let you know. Thanks for the assistance.
adimpressions wrote: So I am doing everything in steps.

Please do as many steps as possible and collect issues that you can not solve for a long time. Post them all once a week. I'll try to visit this topic the next weekend.
Ok I will do that. Thank you
9 posts Page 1 of 1