Forum for discussing general topics related to Couch.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
I am venturing out from the dark side (WordPress) and developing a new website for a group of clients using Bootstrap 4, html5, css, etc. Couch CMS seems to be a good fit for providing the clients with a simple back-end for editing selected content.

The problem is, that I would like to be able to allow each of the clients access to the content relevant to them and not give them access to the content for any of the other clients.

This will be a fairly simple site, listing facilities and non-profit organizations that provide housing for people in a small geographical region. So for each organization, I would like them to be able to update their own information?

I have been going over the documentation all day and can see that I can set up permissions for each client by level of access, but is there any way of restricting each client access to their own information for editing?

So to summarize. A website with six clients, each with their own unique content. Is there a way to set up permissions so each can only edit their own content and not any of the other clients?

Any help or guidance or inspiration would be most welcome.

cheers
Darryl
Greetings Darryl!

I would firstly like to take this opportunity to welcome you to CouchCMS and the CouchCMS Forum. It's good to know that you find CouchCMS to be a
"good fit for providing the clients with a simple back-end for editing selected content",
just as CouchCMS claims that it is a retrofitting CMS. But Couch is not just restricted to that. It extends to fulfill many more requirements.

I will try my best to explain to you what you have asked for
The problem is, that I would like to be able to allow each of the clients access to the content relevant to them and not give them access to the content for any of the other clients.

This feature of providing each client user with their own panel to edit can be easily attained using the Extended Users Module. The extended users module helps you to be able to do the following:
1. Create new authenticated users
2. Activate those users (using activation email)
3. Edit their Profile, etc right out-of-the-box.

If you want to have a glimpse of what you want to achieve, please go ahead and check out
CouchCMS-Notejam hosted working example.. I suppose you shall be able to connect to the functionality that you want to achieve.

If there is any thing else that you would need help with please feel free to post to the forum.
The Bug Reporting and Troubleshooting is the best place to find answers to most of your queries or to post a new one. The members on the forum are very helpful so feel free to ask your questions.

Hope to soon see you Relaxed, YOU are on the Couch now.

Regards,
GenXCoders
where innovation meets technology
Hi, please take a look at this addon - simple access control. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10715#p27178 It helps restrict selected admins to certain templates. If you need a granular access control to each editable field separately, then it can also be done (without that addon), for example by css-hiding inside cms:config_form_view - check Couch2.0 topic viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10241 for advanced customization options of admin panel.
Thank you. I obviously needed to delve into the documentation in greater detail. One thing I think I can help out with is the documentation. It does need a little work to make it more newbie friendly.

cheers,
Darryl

genxcoders wrote: Greetings Darryl!

I would firstly like to take this opportunity to welcome you to CouchCMS and the CouchCMS Forum. It's good to know that you find CouchCMS to be a
"good fit for providing the clients with a simple back-end for editing selected content",
just as CouchCMS claims that it is a retrofitting CMS. But Couch is not just restricted to that. It extends to fulfill many more requirements.

I will try my best to explain to you what you have asked for

This feature of providing each client user with their own panel to edit can be easily attained using the Extended Users Module. The extended users module helps you to be able to do the following:
1. Create new authenticated users
2. Activate those users (using activation email)
3. Edit their Profile, etc right out-of-the-box.

If you want to have a glimpse of what you want to achieve, please go ahead and check out
CouchCMS-Notejam hosted working example.. I suppose you shall be able to connect to the functionality that you want to achieve.

If there is any thing else that you would need help with please feel free to post to the forum.
The Bug Reporting and Troubleshooting is the best place to find answers to most of your queries or to post a new one. The members on the forum are very helpful so feel free to ask your questions.

Hope to soon see you Relaxed, YOU are on the Couch now.

Regards,
GenXCoders

Thank you! This is all a big learning curve for me and I am very appreciative of your help. I have downloaded all the documentation files and going through them now. It does seem like they could do with a bit of work to make them more user friendly. Perhaps something I can help out with...

cheers
Darryl

trendoman wrote: Hi, please take a look at this addon - simple access control. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10715#p27178 It helps restrict selected admins to certain templates. If you need a granular access control to each editable field separately, then it can also be done (without that addon), for example by css-hiding inside cms:config_form_view - check Couch2.0 topic viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10241 for advanced customization options of admin panel.
@Darryl

Nice to know our (@genxcoders and @trendoman) were helpful to you.

Couch is still in its development phase and evolving very fast to adapt to the changing needs of its developers. Currently @KK Sir is busy with the further development of couch. The documentation update is of high priority in the ToDo list. But till it comes through we are here to help.

I really appreciate your willing gesture to contribute towards updating the documentation. We shall all be really be up to it soon and will let you know. In the meanwhile, please feel to post your queries to the forum and I am sure many members will be more than willing to help.

Regards,
GenxCoders (Priya)
where innovation meets technology
@Darryl, feel free to contribute https://github.com/CouchCMS/Documentation
genxcoders wrote: @Darryl

Nice to know our (@genxcoders and @trendoman) were helpful to you.

Couch is still in its development phase and evolving very fast to adapt to the changing needs of its developers. Currently @KK Sir is busy with the further development of couch. The documentation update is of high priority in the ToDo list. But till it comes through we are here to help.

I really appreciate your willing gesture to contribute towards updating the documentation. We shall all be really be up to it soon and will let you know. In the meanwhile, please feel to post your queries to the forum and I am sure many members will be more than willing to help.

Regards,
GenxCoders (Priya)

trendoman wrote: @Darryl, feel free to contribute https://github.com/CouchCMS/Documentation

Thank you both. I successfully won the contract for the site I am working on and am now fully immersing myself in CouchCMS, and learning its details. I am sure I will have some questions and I will document my path along the way, and do my best to contribute to the documentation on GitHub.

It seems to me that most of the updates in the functionality are present here on the forum, but haven't made it yet into the core documentation. It does make it a little challenging to get a handle on what is possible with v2.1, especially when you go to the documentation and it is describing something from v1.5 and uncertain if there has been improvements since then.

I am starting to get a vague sense of what is possible, but it is still a little hazy at the moment. I have to stop reading about the most recent developments in v2, 2.1 and beta2.2 and get a handle on the core before I do much more. Then I think I will be in a better place to appreciate what is possible with the latest versions.

cheers
Darryl
You are welcome :)

CouchCMS features and featurettes are so enticing (and keep coming thanks to @KK), so one can't help but dive deep into the stream. Careful, as it's sticky. Some people even forgot what brought them here in the first place :)
8 posts Page 1 of 1